Indoor Plants That Are Toxic to Kids and Pets

Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Having houseplants is a wonderful way to bring nature into the home, and improve air quality. But be careful which ones you pick. Some are toxic to people and pets. Read on for some plants you should avoid in the house …


Extremely popular for their beautiful flowers, cyclamens are a danger to pets and kids because if eaten, they can cause diarrhea and vomiting.


Commonly seen around Christmas, this red and green plant can cause nausea and vomiting if eaten. The sap can also cause skin irritation and redness.


Commonly known as Elephant Ears, Caladium plants add a pop of bright color to any room. The problem is that when consumed, the leaves can cause diarrhea, vomiting, swelling, and pain in the eyes.

Peace Lilies

Peace lilies are one of the most popular houseplants, especially around Spring. Unfortunately, if they are eaten, they are poisonous to dogs, cats, and even humans.

Sago Palm

These ancient plants are great for improving indoor air quality, and look great too. The problem is that they are highly toxic. Eating any part of the plant can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and liver failure.


View this post on Instagram

Sago Palm Sunday paired with porcelain vessel.

A post shared by Ceramic Eden (@ceramiceden) on